Friday, June 1, 2018

Goodbye, Chile. Alpaca My Bags - by Ali

ENGLISH:

By the time I realized I was leaving Chile, my plane ticket was already printed. I’ve spent this last week packing my bags, but the most important things won’t fit into suitcases. I’m leaving behind not only possessions but a culture and people I have come to love. I already miss the mountains that surround the city, the children I have worked with, and the food of course. A last will and testament of abstract belongings.

Last week, we spent an entire day at Chillán. We went on a hike to a beautiful waterfall where the scenery was like nothing I’ve ever seen before. I come from a city that is below sea level with the highest land being levees. It might be typical here, but I am in awe every time I see the mountains here.

Image may contain: ocean, sky, plant, tree, mountain, cloud, outdoor, nature and water
Where the mountains meet the ocean

The termas (thermal baths) were also beautiful. They smelled terrible, of course, but the time spent with friends was much needed. Sharing photos, trying to bargain for wool socks in broken Spanish, having time to sit down and talk: these were the highlights of that trip.

Image may contain: tree, bridge, outdoor and nature
Las termas at Chillán (sulfur baths heated by the volcanoes)

The market was fast and full of people, and I’m upset I didn’t have more time to spend wandering. I managed to help a friend lower the price of a keychain from 1000$ to 750$ (pesos). I collect purses from around the world, and I was happy to find this beautiful bag while at the market in Chillán:

As a going away present, the students in my lenguaje class made poster presentations about the culture of Chile. Some discussed food and slang while others discussed history and places. I don’t know how but I WILL make room in my suitcase for 10 full-size poster boards.

Group Presentation on Modernismos de Chile
Grade/Nota: 7!

I came on this trip because I had a wonderful time when I went to Argentina, and I wanted to travel again during my last summer at LSU. This trip reminded me of why I minored in Spanish and English, two subjects completely different from Coastal Environmental Science that often gets me weird looks. I want to work internationally, particularly in South America. This trip has reminded me of how this is not only needed but also very possible. I am so sad to say goodbye to Chile, but I have never been more sure that this won’t be the last time. I came with a list of things I wanted to accomplish in South America and will leave with an even longer list.

Nos vemos, Chile!


ESPAÑOL:

Cuando me di cuenta de que salía de Chile, mi boleto de avión ya estaba impreso. He pasado los últimos días empacando cosas en maletas, pero las cosas más importantes no encajan. Estoy dejando no sólo las posesiones, sino una cultura que quiero. Ya extraño las montañas que rodean la ciudad, los niños que he enseñado, y la comida por supuesto. Una última voluntad y testamento de las pertenencias abstractas.

La semana pasada, pasamos un día entero en Chillán. Fuimos en una caminata a una hermosa cascada donde el paisaje era como nada que he visto. Soy de una ciudad que está por debajo del nivel del mar. Es típico aquí, pero estoy asombrada cada vez que veo estas montañas.

Las Termas también eran hermosas. Apestan, por supuesto, pero pasar tiempo con amigos era necesario. Compartir fotos, tratar de negociar por calcetines de lana en Español roto, tener tiempo para sentarse y hablar: estas fueron las mejores partes de ese viaje.

El mercado estaba ocupado y lleno de gente, y estoy molesto no tuve más tiempo para pasar vagando. Ayudé a un amigo a bajar el precio de un llavero de $1000 a $750f. Colecciono bolsos de todo el mundo, y estaba feliz de encontrar esta bolso bonito en el mercado de Chillán.

Como regalo de marcha, los alumnos de mi clase de lenguaje hicieron pósteres y presentaciones sobre la cultura de Chile. Algunos discutieron la comida y los modismos mientras que otros discutieron la historia y los lugares. No sé cómo, pero voy a hacer espacio en mi maleta para 10 grandes pósteres.

Vine en este viaje porque me lo pasé muy bien cuando fui a Argentina, y quería viajar de nuevo durante mi último verano como estudiante. Este viaje me recordó por qué también estudio español e inglés. Son dos carreras que son muy diferentes de la ciencia medioambiantales costales, y muchas personas piensan que soy raro por esto.

Quiero trabajar internacionalmente, particularmente en Sudamérica. Este viaje me ha recordado cómo es posible. Estoy tan triste de despedirme de Chile, pero estoy seguro de que no será la última vez. Llegué con una lista de cosas que quería lograr en Sudamérica y me iré con una lista más larga.

¡Nos vemos, Chile!





No comments:

Post a Comment