Saturday, May 26, 2018

Another year older in Chile! - Leslie 2️⃣6️⃣🎉🎁🎂

Update: I turned 26 in Chile!!!! A lot was packed into last week. Last Saturday was my birthday. I was an emotional wreck the night before because this was my first birthday ever away from home. Needless to say that my mom was not making it any easier. She called me many times and yes there was crying involved, along with other family members and friends to congratulate me. But the highlight of my day? My host family surprised me with mariachis that sang me Las Mañanitas and a few other songs. Of course I cried. It was sweet and special! They held a Chilean style barbeque for me and invited friends and family over. It was a delicious meal filled lots of food and pisco sour (yummy). So many people made me feel really special and I will be forever grateful for this experience and all of the memories. 2️⃣6️⃣🎉🎁🎂
May 19, 2018 - Happy Birthday to ME!
Barbi & Her Gringa Leslie 5/19/18
Plus,  I was also totally excited because I got the honor to do Barbara’s hair and makeup for the quinceañera she was going to that same night. She looked stunning! 💄

Traditional pony pic @ Salto de Laja
The next day I also went to the falls of Chile called El Salto de Laja. I had fish that caught from there and beer made from the falls water. It was amazing. A really cool part was the market that lined the length of the falls and I did some (actually a lot) of shopping. Everything was just too cute!  I even took the traditional family picture that Barbi and Coni have. I rode a pony so that I could take this picture. 🐴+👩🏻

The rest of the week was just as busy. We went to an art museum,  visited the University of Concepcion, had a sit down with teachers to ask questions about teaching styles, and also we had a workshop held by us. The workshop that my group presented was titled “Heightening Student Engagement through Cooperative Learning” and it was a lot of fun presenting along side Dani and Alyssa. I learned a lot from working in this group. And we went to El Chiflon del Diablo and it was such an incredible experience. It is a mine that many citizens used to work at every day for 12 hours under the pacific ocean. Mr. Daniel was our guide and he was an actual worker in the mine for 20 years. When I tell you that was such a difficult climb down and up, and these men AND children had to do it ever day, it was heartbreaking because of how difficult the situation was. There was one moment when he asked us to turn off our lights so that we could experience true darkness. It was eerie and then he sang us the miners song. I got all the feels when I heard in his song so many emotions that he personally lived and experienced. If you ever come to Concepcion, please take the opportunity to experience this first hand.⛏
Dabbin on the university campus with the real MVP - Alyssa Perino
Lastly, I just want everyone to know how absolutely sweet the staff, my host family, and the LSU staff has been with me these past few days. I unfortunately got sick and everyone has been extremely concerned and worried about me. So a huge thanks! I feel a lot better. 😷 -> 😊❤️

-     Actualización: Cumpli 26 años! Tuvimos mucho que hacer esta semana. El sábado pasado fue mi cumpleaños. La noche anterior estaba estaba un poco triste porque era mi primer cumpleaños lejos de mi casa en Luisiana. Mi mamá no hizo la situacion más fácil. Ella me llamó muchas veces y sí llore y tambíen ella, junto con otros familiares y amigos que me llamaron para felicitarme. Pero lo más increible de mi día? Mi familia anfitriona me sorprendió con mariachis que me cantaron Las Mañanitas y otras canciones. Por supuesto que lloré. ¡Fue muy lindo y especial! Celebramos con una barbacoa de estilo chileno e invitaron a amigos y familiares. Fue una deliciosa comida llena acompañada de pisco sour (delicioso). Todos me hicieron sentir muy especial y estaré eternamente agradecida por esta experiencia y todos los recuerdos. Además, estaba muy emocionada porque tuve el honor de ayudarle a Bárbara alistarse para una quinceañera a la que iba a ir esa misma noche. ¡Ella se veía espectacular!
-      Al día siguiente también fui a las cataratas de Chile llamadas El Salto de Laja. Tuve pez que capturaron desde allí y cerveza hecha con agua de las cataratas. Fue increíble. Una parte realmente genial fue el mercado que se alineó a lo largo de las cataratas e hice algunas (de hecho, muchas) compras. ¡Todo fue demasiado lindo! Incluso me tomé un foto que es un poco tradicional de la familia igual a la que tienen Barbi y Coni. Monté en un poni para poder tener la misma foto. 🐴+👩🏻
-     El resto de la semana estuvo igual de ocupado. Fuimos a un museo de arte, visitamos la Universidad de Concepción, nos sentamos con profesores para hacer preguntas sobre estilos de enseñanza, y también tuvimos un taller organizado por nosotros. El taller que mi grupo presentó se tituló "Aumentar la participación estudiantil a través del aprendizaje cooperativo" y fue muy divertido presentar junto a Dani y Alyssa. Aprendí mucho trabajando en este grupo. Y fuimos a El Chiflon del Diablo y fue una experiencia increíble. Es una mina que muchos ciudadanos solían trabajar todos los días durante 12 horas bajo el océano Pacífico. Don Daniel fue nuestra guía y fue un trabajador en la mina durante 20 años. Cuando les digo que fue una escalada tan difícil, y estos hombres y niños tuvieron que hacerlo cada día, fue desgarrador por lo difícil que era la situación. Hubo un momento en que nos pidió que apagemos nuestras luces para poder experimentar la verdadera oscuridad. Fue espeluznante pero despues nos cantó la canción de los mineros. Sentí tantas emociones cuando escuché en su canción tantas emociones que él personalmente vivió y experimentó. Si alguna vez tienen la oportunidad de viajar a Concepción, aprovechen la oportunidad para vivir esto de primera mano. ⛏
-     Por último, solo quiero que todos sepan lo absolutamente dulce que el personal, la familia anfitriona y el personal de LSU. Desafortunadamente me enfermé y todos estaban muy preocupados por mí. Muchisimas gracias! Me siento mucho mejor. 😷 -> 😊❤️

No comments:

Post a Comment