Sunday, May 20, 2018

Week uno - Madalyn

After landing in Santiago, Chile, I handed my passport over to the immigration officer and proceeded to excitedly say: "Hello, how are you?"... The immigration officer looked at me sideways and said "Que?" And that is when it hit me... Madalyn.. you are not in America anymore. So, me being the overly friendly person I am, I thought to myself duh, I took four years of Spanish in high school, I can so ask 'How are you' in Spanish. Clearing my throat, I begin to say "Hola! Como te llamas?" (at the time I thought I was asking "how are you?" but if you know Spanish, you know I just asked this random dude at immigration "what is your name?") The immigration officer, still looking at me funny, hesitantly says: "Te llamo Maximiliano" and hands me my passport. Confused, I walked over to a group of my friends and say "does anyone know what Maximiliano means? I just asked that guy how are you and he said maximiliano, he must be having a really awesome day!" To my surprise, someone explains to me that I did not ask him "how are you" I asked him "what is your name," in that instant I realized that I was in for a rude awakening and that I should have paid more attention in my high school Spanish class.  We had a brief layover at the Santiago airport, then we boarded our final flight headed to Concepcion, Chile. When we arrived in Concepcion we headed to baggage claim, as I walked off the escalator I see about five families frantically waving at us through the glass separating baggage claim and the exit. My heart dropped, I turned to my friend and said "I completely forgot what my host family looks like, should we wave???" We quickly devised a plan, we decided we were just going to start waving to everyone and not make eye contact. So here we are, frantically waving at families frantically waving at us while smiling and not making contact with anyone! Finally, I see my bags on the baggage claim belt. Then I had to brace myself and meet my host family, at this point I was still so nervous and I could not recall what they looked like. As I walked out of baggage claim this woman, my host mother, runs up to me, hugs me, and starts speaking to me in Spanish at about 400 words per minute. Following my Chilean mother, the rest of my family walks up to greet me, hugging and kissing me. Luckily, Edu, my host brother, turns to me and says (in english) "hello, how was your flight?" a wave of relief flooded through my mind. Thank God, Edu knows English, because I was quick to realize my level Spanish did not look like it was going to help me at all during the next three weeks.


Después de aterrizar en Santiago, Chile, entregué mi pasaporte al oficial de inmigración y procedí a decir con entusiasmo: "Hola, ¿cómo está?" ... El oficial de inmigración me miró de reojo y dijo "¿Qué?" Y fue entonces cuando me golpeó ... Madalyn ... ya no estás en Estados Unidos. Entonces, siendo yo la persona demasiado amistosa que soy, pensé para mí mismo, tomé cuatro años de español en la escuela secundaria, y puedo preguntar '¿cómo estás?' En español. Aclarándome la garganta, empiezo a decir "Hola, Como llamas". (en ese momento pensé que estaba preguntando "¿cómo estás?" pero si sabes español, sabes que acabo de preguntarle a este tipo al azar en inmigración "¿cómo te llamas?") El oficial de inmigración, todavía me mira divertido, vacilante dice: "Te llamo Maximiliano" y me entrega mi pasaporte. Confundido, me acerqué a un grupo de amigos y le dije: "¿Alguien sabe lo que quiere decir Maximiliano? Simplemente le pregunté a ese tipo cómo estás y me dijo que Maximiliano, ¡debe estar pasando un día realmente increíble!" Para mi sorpresa, alguien me explica que no le pregunté "cómo estás", le pregunté "¿cómo te llamas?", En ese instante me di cuenta de que me esperaba un rudo despertar y que debería haber prestado más atención. en mi clase de español de secundaria. Tuvimos una breve escala en el aeropuerto de Santiago, luego abordamos nuestro vuelo final rumbo a Concepción, Chile. Cuando llegamos a Concepción, nos dirigimos al área de reclamo de equipaje, cuando salía de la escalera mecánica vi que unas cinco familias nos saludaban frenéticamente a través del vidrio que separa el reclamo de equipaje y la salida. Me dio un vuelco el corazón, me volví hacia mi amigo y le dije "me olvidé completamente de cómo se ve mi familia de acogida, ¿deberíamos saludar?" Rápidamente ideamos un plan, decidimos que íbamos a saludar a todos y no mirar a los ojos. Así que aquí estamos, saludando frenéticamente a las familias que nos saludan frenéticamente mientras sonríen y no se ponen en contacto con nadie. Finalmente, veo mis maletas en el cinturón de reclamo de equipaje. Luego tuve que prepararme y conocer a mi familia de acogida, en este punto todavía estaba tan nervioso y no podía recordar cómo se veían. Cuando salí del equipaje, esta mujer, mi madre anfitriona, corre hacia mí, me abraza y comienza a hablarme en español a unas 400 palabras por minuto. Siguiendo a mi madre chilena, el resto de mi familia se acerca para saludarme, abrazándome y besándome. Afortunadamente, Edu, mi hermano anfitrión, se vuelve hacia mí y dice (en inglés) "hola, ¿cómo estuvo tu vuelo?" una oleada de alivio inundó mi mente. Gracias a Dios, Edu sabe inglés, porque me di cuenta rápidamente de que mi nivel de español no parecía que fuera a ayudarme en absoluto durante las próximas tres semanas.

Mama, Papa, Andrea, me, and Edu at the airport.

From the airport, we went home and had lunch. Lunch in Chile is like dinner in America, it is their biggest meal of the day. Lunch was great, it was even greater considering the amount of wine that was consumed during the middle of the day... After lunch we went to the beach. It was so beautiful, I was in awe the entire time. There were mountains surrounding the beach and we hiked up one of the mountains. I have never seen anything more beautiful than what I saw that day!  After the beach we went home and I slept harder than I have ever slept in my life considering I hadnt slept in two days becasue of the flight. The next day we woke up and went to the lagoon, I had never seen a lagoon before but rumor has it if you get in the lagoon you get sucked in through the mud. It reminded me of Peter Pan. 

The next day we had school, I was beyond excited to get into school and start my learning experience. I was paired with a history and art teacher. Throughout the week I was slowly integrated into the history and art classes at Colegio Concepcion San Pedro. I love Colegio Concepcion San Pedro, the students are always so happy. They greet me with hugs and kisses every morning. I love it here and I never want to leave. I can not wait for the following weeks to unfold. I never want to leave these sweet faces!!!

Desde el aeropuerto, nos fuimos a casa y almorzamos. El almuerzo en Chile es como cenar en América,
 es su mejor comida del día. El almuerzo fue excelente, fue aún mayor considerando la cantidad de vino
 que se consumió durante la mitad del día ... Después del almuerzo fuimos a la playa. Fue tan hermoso,
 me quedé asombrado todo el tiempo. Había montañas alrededor de la playa y caminamos por una de 
las montañas. ¡Nunca he visto algo más hermoso que lo que vi ese día! Después de la playa nos fuimos
 a casa y dormí más duro de lo que nunca he dormido en mi vida teniendo en cuenta que no había 
dormido en dos días debido al vuelo. Al día siguiente nos despertamos y fuimos a la laguna, nunca 
antes había visto una laguna, pero corre el rumor de que si te metes en la laguna, te absorbe el barro. 
Me recordó a Peter Pan. 
 
Al día siguiente tuvimos la escuela, estaba más que emocionado de ir a la escuela y comenzar mi 
experiencia de aprendizaje. Me emparejaron con un profesor de historia y arte. A lo largo de la semana,
 poco a poco fui integrado a las clases de historia y arte en el Colegio Concepción San Pedro. 
Me encanta el Colegio Concepción San Pedro, los estudiantes siempre son tan felices. 
Ellos me saludan con abrazos y besos todas las mañanas. Me encanta aquí y nunca me quiero ir. 
No puedo esperar a que se desarrollen las siguientes semanas. ¡¡Nunca quiero dejar estas 
dulces caras!!!

 

1 comment:

  1. Madalyn nosotros también estamos muy felices de que estés aquí disfrutando de nuestro país y del cariño de nuestros alumnos

    ReplyDelete