Thursday, May 24, 2018

Week Two: Places, Places, Places! -Dani




I can’t believe this is already the second week I’ve been in Chile! It’s been an eventful trip, and I’ve seen so much! On Saturday, we visited Desembocadura, an area in Concepcion where the Bio Bio River meets the Pacific Ocean. There is a small museum here that houses a collection of various items from the owner’s travels around the world. These artifacts range from taxidermy pieces to jewelry to a mummy! There is also a gorgeous lookout point where my host family and I were able to watch the sunset. It was picturesque and a breathtaking. We descended from the lookout to the ocean and I realized that, despite my travels, I have never actually seen the Pacific Ocean. Consequently, I ran into the tide and got my boots all wet and sandy. It was well worth it, and I certainly will not soon forget the beauty of the landscape.

No puedo creer que esta sea a seegunda semama que estoy en Chile! Ha sido un viaje lleno de acontecimientos y he visto muchO! El sabado, visitmos Desembocadura, un area en Concepcion donde el rio Bio Bio se encuentra con el Oceano Pacifico, Hay un pequeno museo aqui que alberga una coleccion de diversos articulos de los viajes del propietario de todo el mundo. Estos artefactos van desde piezas de taxidermia hasta joyas a una momia! Tambien, hay un hermoso mirador donde mi familia y yo pudimos ver el atardecer. Fue pintoresco e impresionante. Bajamos del mirador al oceano y me di cuenta de que, a pesar de mis viajes, nunca habia visto el Ocean Pacifico. En consecuencia, me tope con la marea y me quedaron las botas mojadas y arenosas. Valio la pena, y ciertamente no olvidare la belleza del paisaje.





In a similar vein, I was stunned by the magnificence of Talcahuano. Caleta Tumbes, a fishing town of Talcahuano, reminded me of the quaintness of some of the Spanish towns I’ve seen- a mixture between Gijon and Las Palmas. The brisk wind with the clear skies contributed to city’s charm, and I was lucky enough to spend time with Maria Paz and Valentina in a cute restaurant, walking along the boardwalk, and watching the setting sun from a high point in Talcahuano. I was completely enamored.

En una línea similar, me sorprendió la magnificencia de Talcahuano. Caleta Tumbes, un pueblo pesquero de Talcahuano, me recordó la singularidad de algunas de las ciudades españolas que he visto, una mezcla entre Gijón y Las Palmas. El viento fuerte con cielos despejados contribuyó al encanto de la ciudad, y tuve la suerte de pasar tiempo con Maria Paz y Valentina en un lindo restaurante, caminar por el paseo marítimo y contemplar la puesta de sol desde un punto alto en Talcahuano. Estaba completamente enamorada.


I also had the opportunity to visit Chiflon del Diablo in Lota. I appreciated this experience to remind me of a different perspective and some of the trials of miners. I knew that mining was an arduous endeavor and that miners often suffered from their work, but I didn’t realize the extent of the horrors miners endured. It’s easy for me to think about labor laws and struggles as an abstract concept, but being confronted with the past and persisting struggles of these miners reminds me that real people suffer from very real exploitation. It was a sobering experience, and I am very thankful that I had the opportunity to participate in the tour.

También tuve la oportunidad de visitar Chiflon del Diablo en Lota. Aprecié esta experiencia para recordarme una perspectiva diferente y algunos de las dificultades de los mineros. Sabía que la minería era una tarea ardua y que los mineros a menudo sufrían por su trabajo, pero no me di cuenta de la magnitud de los horrores que los mineros padecían. Es fácil para mí pensar en las leyes laborales y las luchas como un concepto abstracto, pero enfrentarme al pasado y las luchas persistentes de estos mineros me recuerda que las personas reales sufren una explotación muy real. Fue una experiencia aleccionadora, y estoy muy agradecida de haber tenido la oportunidad de participar en la gira.

No comments:

Post a Comment