Thursday, May 17, 2018

Week One - Dani


This ends day six in Concepcion, Chile and I am thoroughly pleased with my decision to spend time in this country. This is my first time in South America, and I am overwhelmed by the beauty of the landscape and the warmth of the people. I am adjusting to (and loving) besitos as a greeting and a routine of tea and snacks every few hours. I have experienced nothing but kindness and hospitality while here, and I am overwhelmed by the general amiability of my host family and Chileans alike.

Esto termina el día seis en Concepción, Chile y estoy muy satisfecha con mi decisión de pasar tiempo en este país. Esta es mi primera vez en América del Sur, y me siento impresionada por la belleza del paisaje y la calidez de la gente. Me estoy adaptando (y amando) a los besitos como un saludo y una rutina de té y meriendas cada pocas horas. No he experimentado más que amabilidad y hospitalidad mientras estuve aquí, y me siento impresionada por la amabilidad general de mi familia anfitriona y de los chilenos por igual.

A group of 11th grade students

I have spent a good portion of my time here thus far at the school, which has been really inspiring. The students have asked deep questions and have shown an impressive understanding of culture, politics, and international relations. They have been very eager to communicate with me and ask questions, whether it has been in the classroom context or even in passing in the hallways. Their inquisitiveness is exciting!

He pasado una parte de mi tiempo en la escuela, que ha sido realmente una inspiración. Los estudiantes han hecho preguntas profundas y han demostrado una comprensión impresionante sobre cultura, política y las relaciones internacionales. Han estado muy entusiasmados por comunicarse conmigo y hacer preguntas, ya sea en el contexto del aula o incluso al pasar por los pasillos. ¡Su curiosidad me inspira!


My host family

My family has been so incredibly openhearted to me and I truly feel as if I am child number 5. They have made room for me, both figuratively and literally, in their lives and I am very grateful for this. I have had some of the most delicious foods, biggest laughs, and intimate conversations in these short 6 days.  I’ve had some time to explore  Concepcion with my family by going around downtown and to the university, and I look forward to what is in store this weekend and the in the coming weeks!

Mi familia ha sido increíblemente sincera conmigo y realmente me siento como si fuera la hija número 5. Me han dejado espacio, figurativamente y literalmente, en sus vidas y estoy muy agradecida por esto. He probado las comidas más deliciosas, las risas más grandes y las conversaciones más íntimas en estos cortos 6 días. ¡He tenido tiempo de explorar Concepción con mi familia yendo por el centro de la ciudad y a la Universidad de Concepción. Espero con emoción lo que está reservado este fin de semana y en las próximas semanas!

No comments:

Post a Comment