Saturday, May 26, 2018

To the mountains, to the mines - Kathleen




I spent a day on a farm in a small town called Coelemu on Monday! What was so special about this town was that it was where my host parents grew up. They took me around and showed me the town’s bridge, the town plaza, and where their relatives work. The farm was so cool! The mom kept telling me that the farm might not be what I‘m used to and she was right. It wasn’t like the farms we have back at home but it still works the same way. I was so excited to see the horses, pigs, and chickens! Also, Ms. Alejandra’s aunt prepared soup for lunch called Cazeula de Pollo. It was my first time having farm-to-table food and it was delicious!

Pasé un día en una granja en un pequeño pueblo llamado Coelemu el lunes. Lo que era tan especial acerca de esta ciudad fue que fue donde crecieron mis padres anfitriones. Me llevaron alrededor y me mostraron el puente de la ciudad, la plaza del pueblo y dónde trabajan sus parientes. ¡La granja fue genial! La mamá no dejaba de decirme que la granja podría no ser a lo que estoy acostumbrado y que ella tenía razón. No era como las granjas que tenemos en casa, pero todavía funciona de la misma manera. ¡Estaba tan emocionado de ver los caballos, cerdos y pollos! Además, la tía de la Sra. Alejandra preparó sopa para el almuerzo llamada Cazeula de Pollo. Era la primera vez que comía de la granja a la mesa y ¡estaba delicioso!


Chiflon de Diablo translated in English is literally the Devil’s Blast. It’s the name of a very known coal mine in Chile. I was able to go down there and really experience what it’s like to be hundreds of meters underground! Was I scared? Of course. But this is an once in a lifetime thing that I could experience! Our tour guide was amazing at telling us about it but it’s because he actually worked there years ago! It was so great to hear his personal work stories and what he had to go through while working there. It didn’t sound easy, but he is definitely proud of what he did and proud to tell people about it. He sang the famous miner’s song to us and it was so beautiful. So here’s a picture of me with the awesome tour guide and used to be coal miner!
Chiflon de Diablo traducido en inglés es literalmente la Explosión del Diablo. Es el nombre de una mina de carbón muy conocida en Chile. ¡Pude bajar y experimentar lo que es estar a cientos de metros bajo tierra! ¿Estaba asustado? Por supuesto. ¡Pero esto es algo único en la vida que podría experimentar! Nuestro guía turístico fue increíble al contarnos sobre él, ¡pero es porque realmente trabajó allí hace años! Fue genial escuchar sus historias personales de trabajo y lo que tuvo que pasar mientras trabajaba allí. No parecía fácil, pero definitivamente está orgulloso de lo que hizo y se siente orgulloso de contarle a la gente sobre ello.Él cantó la famosa canción del minero para nosotros y fue muy hermosa. Así que aquí está una foto mía con la guía turística impresionante y solía ser minero de carbón.



I’m so grateful to have the opportunity to work with such an awesome group of prekindergarten and kindergarten teachers while I’m here! I was assigned to work with Ms. Carolina but I was given the chance to work with all these teachers. They all welcomed me at the school and even in their classrooms. At first, I thought that our schools are so different. But oh my goodness, was I wrong. After talking to the department, I learned that we have many similarities but also some differences in our teaching methodologies and philosophies. However, we all agree that kids should be kids. These ladies are all so wonderful and those kids are so lucky to have them as teachers!
Estoy muy agradecido de tener la oportunidad de trabajar con un grupo tan increíble de prekindergarten y maestros de kínder mientras estoy aquí! Me asignaron para trabajar con la Sra. Caroline pero tuve la oportunidad de trabajar con todos estos maestros. Todos me recibieron en la escuela e incluso en sus clases. Al principio, pensé que nuestras escuelas son muy diferentes. Pero, Dios mío, estaba equivocado. Después de hablar con el departamento, aprendí que tenemos muchas similitudes, pero también algunas diferencias en nuestras metodolgías y filosofías de enseñanza.Sin embargo, todos estamos de acuerdo en que los niños deben ser niños. ¡Estas mujeres son tan maravillosas y esos niños son tan afortunados de tenerlos como maestros!

No comments:

Post a Comment