Friday, May 18, 2018

Hola! - Alyssa

Hola! The only word I knew of Spanish and of course “no hablo espanol” before coming to Chile. This is my first time ever leaving the United States and excited would be an understatement. It has only been one week here in Chile and I have learned an enormous amount. On my flight here I was so nervous I wasn’t able to sleep on the plane (I was also nervous I was going to miss dinner). I have never experienced anything like this before especially on my own and had no idea what to expect. My first night I woke up thinking I was in my bed at home and then realized that I am actually in another country.

          

            My host family is great! They have been nothing but kind and I have enjoyed getting to know them slowly. I have been learning a few words of Spanish and am catching on quickly. It has actually been fun and I am also very grateful for google translate. I was able to meet a lot of their family on Mother’s Day, I love how this is my very first time meeting them and they greet you with a kiss on the cheek. The food has been great so far, I have indulged myself in a large amount of sweets as well these past few days. My birthday was Monday, May 14th and my family had surprised me with a cake! It was really sweet of them and they had made my day!
          

My teachers have also been amazing, I have met with the mathematics teacher and sat in a few of her classes. She was very excited to meet me and I have enjoyed getting to know her and her students. I am able to observe the classrooms and see how different it is from what I am use to. I have also met the counselors of the little school building as well as the counselor at the bigger kids building (junior high to high school). There are so many different therapy styles and it has been very interesting to be able to observe and discuss their ways of counseling. 

The kids at the school are also so talented. This week was art week and the music department had set up a music performance during a recess period and it was really cool to watch, the singing was amazing. The art I have seen is also incredible. I was able to stay later one evening with a few other LSU students to help parents and their children recreate a famous painting. Leslie, Brendan, and I had attempted to paint a picture together that was Louisiana themed and plan on leaving it at the school. It was a lot of fun, although we were the only ones not able to finish our painting, we do plan on completing it before we leave. 




Our masterpiece

The students artwork
             











I can not believe it has already been a week here in Concepcion! Though, I cannot wait to see what the next two weeks are going to be like!


Español:

¡Hola! La única palabra que sabía de español y, por supuesto, "no hablo español" antes de venir a Chile. Esta es la primera vez que salgo de los Estados Unidos y estoy emocionado sería un eufemismo. Solo ha pasado una semana aquí en Chile y he aprendido muchísimo. En mi vuelo aquí estaba tan nerviosa que no pude dormir en el avión (también estaba nerviosa de que iba a perderme la cena). Nunca antes había experimentado algo como esto, especialmente solo y no tenía idea de qué esperar. Mi primera noche me desperté pensando que estaba en mi cama en casa y luego me di cuenta de que en realidad estaba en otro país.      
  
  ¡Mi familia anfitriona es genial! No han sido más que amables y he disfrutado de conocerlos lentamente. He estado aprendiendo algunas palabras de español y estoy aprendiendo rápidamente. De hecho, ha sido divertido y también estoy muy agradecido por el traductor de Google. Pude conocer a muchas de sus familias en el Día de la Madre, me encanta cómo esta es la primera vez que los conozco y te saludan con un beso en la mejilla. La comida ha sido excelente hasta ahora, también me he entregado a una gran cantidad de dulces estos últimos días. ¡Mi cumpleaños fue el lunes 14 de mayo y mi familia me sorprendió con un pastel! ¡Fue muy dulce de ellos y me alegraron el día!

Mis profesores también han sido increíbles, me he reunido con la maestra de matemáticas y me he sentado en algunas de sus clases. Estaba muy emocionada de conocerme y he disfrutado de conocerla a ella y a sus alumnos. Puedo observar las clases y ver cuán diferente es de lo que estoy acostumbrado. También me he reunido con los consejeros del pequeño edificio de la escuela, así como con el consejero en el edificio de los niños más grandes (escuela secundaria hasta la escuela secundaria). Hay tantos estilos diferentes de terapia y ha sido muy interesante poder observar y discutir sus formas de asesoramiento.

Los niños de la escuela también son muy talentosos. Esta semana fue la semana de arte y el departamento de música había organizado una actuación musical durante un receso y fue realmente genial verla, el canto fue increíble. El arte que he visto también es increíble. Pude quedarme más tarde una noche con algunos otros estudiantes de LSU para ayudar a los padres y sus hijos a recrear una pintura famosa. Leslie, Brendan y yo habíamos intentado pintar juntos una foto que tenía el tema de Louisiana y planeamos dejarla en la escuela. Fue muy divertido, aunque fuimos los únicos que no pudimos terminar nuestra pintura, planeamos completarla antes de irnos.

¡No puedo creer que ya haya pasado una semana aquí en Concepción! Sin embargo, no puedo esperar para ver cómo serán las próximas dos semanas.

No comments:

Post a Comment