Tuesday, May 15, 2018

Pies and Mountains - Jordan


My first week in Chile has been simultaneously exhausting and thrilling. Each day is new, exciting, and tires me out by 5 p.m. This isn’t my first time out of the country, but it’s my first time in South America, which is pretty special. As cheesy as it sounds, every day I discover some small Chilean feature that I adore. One day it could be the constant smoky smell in the air from the household wood burning furnaces, the next day it may be the simple fact that I have a beautiful, tree lined walk to school. The little details here really do make all the difference to me. My host family has been amazing, and it seems to be fate that my host mother teaches cooking classes and is a wonderful cook and baker. I eat amazing pies for breakfast and snacks after almuerzo, made with delicious fruit that tricks your body into thinking it’s okay to eat said pies in copious amounts. Don’t be fooled: you will still get a stomachache.

Pictured: Apple pie, blueberry and blackberry pie. 


My host family is great at trusting me when I ask them to drop by me a lake and let me find my own way home. Honestly, mini mountainside adventures in Chile are worth all seventeen hours it took to get here. My host home is right by a tree covered mountain and beautiful lake that allow me to experience nature that I don’t encounter much at home. The weather is perfect for spending time exploring. It’s cool outside and I have yet to encounter a mosquito, which is unheard of this time of year back home in Louisiana.




I’ve just begun working with my teacher at the “little school”, which is simply the campus for the lower grades. My teacher, the fabulous Ms. Fabiola, teaches English to a variety of grades and is constantly sharing laughs with me about the silly kids that constantly ask me to tell them the colors of their markers in English. The classroom setting, and the school setting in general, is a huge adjustment from the classrooms in America. The children are rarely in their seats and, I can say with complete certainty, are never quiet, not even for five seconds. They’re allowed to wiggle, move and expend as much energy as possible during classes. There are no visible behavior charts plastered on the walls, no classroom rules posted, no sobbing kids distraught over the fact that they’ll have a disciplinary warning sent home that day. It’s chaos, but I can’t be mad at it because I know children should be able to enjoy their youth and energy while they’re still young, even if it tests my patience for a solid five hours. 

Now that I’ve adjusted more to Chile hopefully I’ll be venturing out more, so stay tuned next week for more food pictures and tales of mi vida en Chile.


Mi primera semana en Chile ha sido a la vez agotadora y emocionante. Esta no es la primera vez que salgo del país, pero es mi primera vez en Sudamérica, lo cual es bastante especial. Tan cursi como suena, cada día descubro una pequeña característica chilena que adoro. Un día podría ser el constante olor a humo en el aire de los hornos de leña domésticos, al día siguiente puede ser el simple hecho de que tengo un hermoso paseo arbolado a la escuela. Los pequeños detalles aquí realmente hacen toda la diferencia para mí. Mi familia anfitriona ha sido increíble, y parece ser el destino que mi madre anfitriona enseñe clases de cocina y es una cocinera y panadera maravillosa. Como pasteles increíbles para el desayuno y bocadillos después del almuerzo, hecho con una deliciosa fruta que engaña a su cuerpo haciéndole creer que está bien comer dichos pasteles en grandes cantidades. No se deje engañar: todavía tendrá dolor de estómago.

Mi familia anfitriona es excelente para confiar en mí cuando les pido que me acompañen a un lago y me dejen encontrar el camino a casa. Honestamente, las pequeñas aventuras en la ladera de la montaña en Chile valen las diecisiete horas que tardó en llegar hasta aquí. Mi hogar de acogida está justo al lado de una montaña cubierta de árboles y un hermoso lago que me permite experimentar la naturaleza que no encuentro mucho en casa. El clima es perfecto para pasar el tiempo explorando. Hace frío afuera y aún no he encontrado un mosquito, algo que no se ha escuchado en esta época del año cuando volví a casa en Louisiana.

Empecé a trabajar con mi profesor en la "pequeña escuela", que es simplemente el campus para los grados inferiores. Mi maestra, la fabulosa Sra. Fabiola, enseña inglés en una variedad de grados y constantemente comparte risas conmigo sobre los niños tontos que constantemente me piden que les diga los colores de sus marcadores en inglés. El entorno del salón de clases y el entorno escolar en general es un gran ajuste de las aulas en Estados Unidos. Los niños rara vez están en sus asientos y, puedo decir con total seguridad, nunca están callados, ni siquiera por cinco segundos. Se les permite moverse, moverse y gastar la mayor cantidad de energía posible durante las clases. No hay gráficos visibles de comportamiento pegados en las paredes, no se publican las reglas del aula, no hay niños llorando angustiados por el hecho de que tendrán una advertencia disciplinaria enviada a casa ese día. Es un caos, pero no me puedo enojar porque sé que los niños deberían poder disfrutar de su juventud y energía mientras aún son jóvenes, incluso si esto prueba mi paciencia durante cinco horas sólidas.

Ahora que me he adaptado más a Chile con suerte me voy a aventurar más, así que estén atentos la próxima semana para más fotos de alimentos y cuentos de mi vida en Chile.

No comments:

Post a Comment