Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Markets and Mines-Jordan


Update: still exhausted. I still haven’t quiet figured out why Chile makes me constantly drowsy, but I don’t entirely hate it. Perhaps it’s the various activities or copious amounts of foods I consume daily, but it’s clear that Chile has been good for my REM cycle. This past weekend was packed with activities ranging from visiting the town square and witnessing the national dance, to devouring new foods. My host mom is an amazing cook, much like my own parents back home. She's made bread with beets and parsley, salmon ceviche, and so many great soups and stews. 




Last weekend my host mom took me to visit a large outdoor market, allowing me to practice my “outdoor market” picture pose, something I’m becoming an expert at. We marveled at the amount of dead, skinned rabbits for sale, while simultaneously searching for coveted limes to make pisco sour and salmon ceviche. After that outdoor market we went to the town square that houses a beautiful fountain and tons of stores where you could buy even the most obscure things. Here we searched for almond flour so my host daughter could home make macaroons. I’m living in food heaven y’all.

                           

Sunday was a bit gloomy and was a great day for relaxing. I took a short walk around the neighborhood where I found a little bakery that serves cakes, empanadas, ice cream, and most importantly, were patient with my wild, excited gestures toward their beautiful cakes. Monday was a national holiday here so I went and visited the parade near the water and got to smell the enticing scents of the meats and churros from different street carts.




With our LSU group we also visited “The Chiflón del Diablo”, a coal mine near the coast of the water. It was fascinating, dusty and pitch black, just as I imagined it would be. We’ve just about hit the half way mark for our time here in Chile, with tons of great events coming up!



Actualización: todavía agotado. Todavía no me he callado por qué Chile me produce somnolencia constante, pero no lo odio del todo. Tal vez sean las diversas actividades o las copiosas cantidades de alimentos que yo consumo a diario, pero está claro que Chile ha sido bueno para mi ciclo REM. Este pasado fin de semana estuvo lleno de actividades que van desde visitar la plaza del pueblo y presenciar el baile nacional hasta devorar nuevas comidas.


El fin de semana pasado, mi madre anfitriona me llevó a visitar un gran mercado al aire libre, lo que me permitió practicar mi pose de imagen de "mercado al aire libre", algo en lo que me estoy convirtiendo en un experto. Nos maravillamos de la cantidad de conejos muertos y despellejados en venta, mientras buscamos simultáneamente limas codiciadas para hacer pisco sour y salmón ceviche. Después de ese mercado al aire libre, fuimos a la plaza del pueblo que alberga una hermosa fuente y un montón de tiendas donde puedes comprar incluso las cosas más oscuras. Aquí buscamos harina de almendras para que mi hija anfitriona pudiera hacer macarrones en casa. Estoy viviendo en la comida del cielo todos ustedes.

El domingo fue un poco triste y fue un gran día para relajarse. Di un breve paseo por el vecindario donde encontré una pequeña panadería que sirve pasteles, empanadas, helados y, lo más importante, tuve paciencia con mis alocados y emocionantes gestos hacia los hermosos pasteles. El lunes fue una fiesta nacional aquí, así que fui y visité el desfile cerca del agua y pude oler los tentadores aromas de las carnes y los churros de diferentes carros callejeros.

Con nuestro grupo LSU también visitamos "El Chiflón del Diablo", una mina de carbón cerca de la costa del agua. Era fascinante, polvoriento y negro, exactamente como imaginaba que sería. ¡Acabamos de llegar a la mitad del camino para nuestro tiempo aquí en Chile, con toneladas de grandes eventos por venir!




No comments:

Post a Comment