Friday, May 25, 2018

Mi Lugar Feliz - Erika Layne Baumann

   The past week has been so full and busy that I feel like I didn't even have time to catch my breath, but there's honestly nowhere else in the world where I would rather be. Cecilia has a purple and gold sign in her classroom that says, "Baton Rouge is my happy place." As her northern hemisphere counterpart, I told her and her students that Concepcion is my happy place. I find more things in common with the amazing English teachers and my familia here every day, and I find that the more time I spend here the more I fall more in love with this place. I expected to lose the obsessive excitement that comes from traveling at some point, since most of the things and experiences are no longer new for me, but quite the opposite has happened. Instead I feel more and more at home here in Chile and the U.S. feels less and less like home. I'm honestly dreading my return to the U.S. and I can not wait to get out of there permanently. The Chilean people. culture, language, food, students, landscape, etc all outshine that of the U.S., but it's still similar enough that it doesn't feel foreign.

La última semana ha estado tan llena y ocupada que siento que ni siquiera tuve tiempo para recuperar el aliento, pero honestamente no hay otro lugar en el mundo donde prefiera estar. Cecilia tiene un cartel morado y dorado en su salón de clases que dice: "Baton Rouge es mi lugar feliz". Como su contraparte del hemisferio norte, les dije a ella y a sus alumnos que Concepción es mi lugar feliz. Encuentro más cosas en común con los increíbles maestros de inglés y mi familia aquí todos los días, y me parece que cuanto más tiempo paso aquí, más me enamoro más de este lugar. Esperaba perder la emoción obsesiva que viene de viajar en algún momento, ya que la mayoría de las cosas y experiencias ya no son nuevas para mí, pero sucedió todo lo contrario. En cambio, me siento cada vez más como en casa aquí en Chile y los EE. UU. Se sienten cada vez menos como en casa. Honestamente estoy temiendo que regrese a los Estados Unidos y no puedo esperar para salir de allí permanentemente. Los chilenos la cultura, el idioma, la comida, los estudiantes, el paisaje, etc., todos eclipsan a los de los EE. UU., pero aún es lo suficientemente similar como para que no parezca extraño.



One of Nico's students asked me, when I said that I'm learning Spanish, "Are you learning good Spanish or Chilean?" That absolutely broke my heart and I told her that Chilean Spanish is not bad or wrong at all, in any way, it's just different! It's unique! But unfortunately that's not the first time I've been told that Chileans speak bad and/or wrong. It seems to be a pretty widely held opinion among Chileans for some reason and I kind of want to punch people who perpetuate that idea and teach it to children. I've even heard it from my host family, many times. It reminds me of the way my grandparents and all other cajuns were brainwashed into internal bigotry, believing that French is a bad language, leading to them not teaching it to their descendants until we reach language extinction. Another similar situation is AAVE in the U.S., especially in the southern states, where black children are basically led to believe that their cultural dialect is inherently unintelligent and uneducated. Chile's unique dialect of Spanish is one of my favorite things about Chile that made me fall in love with this country. Linguistic diversity and sociocultural variety should be celebrated and cherished, not discouraged! So honestly that belief is another thing that makes me want to move here even more. Students need to be taught that different is not a bad thing, and that their home dialect is something to be appreciated rather than an indicator of stupidity.

Uno de los estudiantes de Nico me preguntó, cuando le dije que estaba aprendiendo español, "¿Estás aprendiendo español o chileno?" Eso me rompió completamente el corazón y le dije que el español de Chile no está nada mal o mal, de alguna manera, ¡es simplemente diferente! ¡Es único! Pero desafortunadamente esa no es la primera vez que me dicen que los chilenos hablan mal y / o mal. Por alguna razón, parece ser una opinión ampliamente aceptada entre los chilenos y, en cierto modo, quiero golpear a las personas que perpetúan esa idea y enseñarla a los niños. Incluso lo he escuchado de mi familia de anfitrión, muchas veces. Me recuerda la forma en que mis abuelos y todos los demás cajuns fueron lavados el cerebro en intolerancia interna, creyendo que el francés es un mal lenguaje, lo que hace que no se lo enseñen a sus descendientes hasta que lleguemos a la extinción del lenguaje. Otra situación similar es la AAVE en los EE. UU., Especialmente en los estados del sur, donde a los niños negros básicamente se les hace creer que su dialecto cultural es inherentemente poco inteligente y sin educación. El dialecto único del español en Chile es una de mis cosas favoritas sobre Chile que me hizo enamorarme de este país. La diversidad lingüística y la variedad sociocultural deben celebrarse y apreciarse, ¡no desanimarse! Entonces, sinceramente, esa creencia es otra cosa que me hace desear mudarme aquí aún más. Los estudiantes necesitan que se les enseñe que lo diferente no es algo malo, y que su dialecto hogareño es algo que debe apreciarse más que un indicador de estupidez.

This was interesting and something I've never seen before-- Religious gifts placed in the mountains




No comments:

Post a Comment