Thursday, May 17, 2018

Cachai? - Denise




This week has been interesting. I’ve come across a culture like mine but have encountered different things as well. Although I speak the same language, at the beginning it was hard to understand them speak because Chileans have words that are unique to the country, not used elsewhere like cachai for example, or micro which stands for bus or palta for avocado.
My family is the best! They are all unique and caring. The first day I arrive we had a party for Rafael’s birthday, and it was wild, but I love the fact that they showed up their true colors since the first minute. From the father to the nanny they are all fun. On Mother’s Day, the family took me to the cemetery to visit their loved ones. It was special for me because they placed their trust on me.
 The food here is great, authentic and I love the fact that people are conscious about the environment’s importance. They have recycling bins distributed among different parts in town and don’t use plastic bags in the stores. I applaud this because not even in the U.S. Back in Louisiana they will literally give you 1 bag per 3 items which is just wasteful. I wish it was like this everywhere.
Another thing that I notice is that, my family at least, goes to 3 different stores to buy their groceries. They are picky about their meats and the quality of their bread. The neighborhood smells like wood in the morning because of the chimney … I’m still adapting to that smell on my hair. Mornings are cold here, and honestly I was not expecting anything different. Once I get to the school, kids are loud most of the time, but they have the power to make my day better. In the classroom, kids have the word, which is different from back home where they usually tell kids to stay quiet and silent. It’s impressive how teachers can handle the noise without going crazyyy, because on my first day I was already panicking. Even though it's been just a few days I've felt more than welcome by the kids and the teachers. This city has a lot to offer and I hope that on the next couple of days I can embrace more of the Chilean culture.


Esta semana ha sido interesante. Me he encontrado con una cultura muy similar a la panameña, pero aun así con muchas diferencias. Aunque hablo el mismo idioma al inicio fue difícil entender como hablaba mi familia porque los chilenos tienen palabras propias de su país, que no se encuentran en otro lugar, como cachai, o micro para referirse al bus y palta, aguacate.
¡Mi familia es la mejor! Todos son únicos y cariñosos. El día que llegue tuvieron una fiesta para el Gigi, y estuvo alocada, pero me encantó el hecho de que desde el primer día me mostraron cómo eran. El padre y la nana son los más chistosos. El día de la madre, me invitaron a acompañar a sus seres queridos al cementerio. Fue muy especial porque me mostraron confianza.

La comida es riquísima y auténtica. Me encanta el hecho de que los chilenos son muy conscientes sobre el impacto ambiental. Tienen botes de reciclaje en las calles y cuando van al supermercado llevan sus propias bolsas, no utilizan bolsas plásticas. En serio les aplaudo eso porque en Luisiana al igual que en mi país, Panamá, las personas no son muy consideradas con el medio ambiente.
Otra cosa que note es que mi familia tiene que ir a 3 tiendas diferentes para hacer las compras del hogar. En mi casa yo suelo ir solo a un sitio y comprar todo, pero aquí son muy ‘picky’ con la calidad de sus carnes y quesos. El vecindario huele a leña debido a las chimeneas (aun no me acostumbro al olor a madera que deja en mi cabello). Las mañanas son frías, pero cuando llego al colegio, mi día se ilumina. Los niños son ruidosos y muy curiosos, pero aún así tienen el poder de mejorarme el día. En el aula, los niños tienen la palabra, lo que ellos digan es prioridad; muy diferente a EEUU o Panamá, donde los niños usualmente deben mantener mucho silencio. Es impresionante como las maestras, o tías como les dicen acá, pueden controlar a los niños sin perder la cabeza.
Esta ciudad tiene mucho que ofrecer y espero que en los próximos días pueda conocer más de la cultura chilena.

No comments:

Post a Comment