Thursday, May 17, 2018

Chile is bacan! - Leslie

May 12, 2018 
Where to even begin?! I'm Leslie and this is my first time traveling to South America. Y'all, I am at the other end of the world!!! I mean, how bacan is that?!! (Bacan = cool) I have studied abroad in Spain but this is nothing like that experience. It is a "whole new world" (reference to Disney) Also, it is freezing cold. Just when I thought I had put away my "winter" clothes for the next few years I had to pull it back out for this trip. 


Chile is such a beautiful country! It is nothing like I expected it to be. It's just as green as Louisiana and it rains just as much or maybe even more (yes, that is possible!). It is bipolar. In case you are wondering if I brought an umbrella with me, I DID, but.... of course I never have it with me. 🌧 I also brought rain boots and I am never prepared to wear them because the weather seems perfect one moment and in the next 5 seconds its pouring. So now to the most important parts of my trip thus far....FOOD!
 I have found my new favorite meal which is called Completo (like complete heaven) and it is mouth watering. 🤤 So it's similiar to a hotdog but much better! It has my favorite snack in it, GUACAMOLE and mayo. If you know me, I am not a fan of mayo but this, this is NOT mayo. This is heaven! Also the ice cream is next level. I have also have empanadas and tortas. I am Mexican so I thought I had already tried these meals before, well no. They are completely different from Mexico's version of these meals. Pretty much I have learned that a lot of things that are typical foods of Mexico are NOT, I repeat are NOT food here.... Also the Pisco tops any margarita you have ever had in your life before (I don't even like margaritas) but I LOVE this stuff. I am pretty much in love with a lot of the food already. Plus Chile does have spicy ingredients called ají 🌶 & merken. So I am set here. I never have to go back home, lol. 
Anyways, I want to talk about my wonderful host family and introduce them to everyone. They are the León Saavedra family which includes, Mr. Ricardo, Mrs. Pilar, Bárbara, Coni, and Estrella (their dog). They have a lovely home and they have all been extremely helpful and kind to me. They have taken me to tour San Pedro and Concepcion, Chile. They took me to their ranch and I got to ride a four-wheeler and watch the beautiful sunset of Chile. One of my favorite spots to visit was also Talcahuano, where I got to see a lot of sea lions just lounging around enjoying the cool breeze of the ocean! 



Familia Leon Savedra + La gringa Leslie
Muchas gracias por la bienvenida a Chile!

¿Por dónde empezar? Soy Leslie y esta es la primera vez que viajo a Sudamérica. Es increíble que estoy en el otro extremo del mundo! Que bacan esto!  He estudiado en el extranjero en España pero esto no se parece en nada a esa experiencia. Es un "mundo completamente nuevo" (referencia a Disney) Además, hace mucho frío. Yo pensé que ya no iba usar mi ropa de invierno pero la tuve que traer porque aquí hace mucho frío.
¡Chile es un país tan hermoso! No es nada como esperaba que fuera. Es tan verde como Louisiana y llueve tanto o incluso más (¡sí, eso es posible!). Es bipolar. En caso de que te preguntes si traje un paraguas conmigo, lo hice, pero ... por supuesto nunca lo traigo cuando lo necesito 🌧 También traje botas de lluvia y nunca estoy preparada para usarlas porque el clima parece perfecto en un momento y en los próximos 5 segundos esta lloviendo. Ahora a la parte más importante de mi viaje hasta ahora ... ¡ LA COMIDA!
He encontrado mi nueva comida favorita, que se llama Completo 🤤 Es similar a un hotdog, ¡pero mucho mejor! Y tiene mi bocadillo favorito, GUACAMOLE pero también mayonesa. Si me conocen, no soy fan de la mayonesa, pero esto, NO es mayo. ¡Esto es delicioso! También el helado esta buenisímo. También he comido empanadas y tortas. Soy mexicana así que pensé que ya había probado estas comidas antes, bueno, no. Son completamente diferentes de las versiones mexicanas.  He aprendido que muchas cosas que son comidas típicas de México NO lo son acá, repito, NO son comidas aquí ... También el Pisco supera cualquier margarita que hayas probado en tu vida (ni siquiera me gustan las margaritas) pero ME ENCANTA el Pisco. Ya soy fan de mucha comida. Además, Chile tiene ingredientes picantes como el ají🌶 y el merken. Así que no quiero volver a casa, lol.
Ahora quiero hablar sobre mi maravillosa familia adoptiva y presentárselos. Ellos son la familia León Saavedra, que incluye, al Sr. Ricardo, la Sra. Pilar, Bárbara, Coni y Estrella (su perrita). Tienen un hogar encantador y todos han sido extremadamente amables conmigo. Me llevaron a recorrer San Pedro de la Paz y Concepción, Chile. Me llevaron a su campo y pude andar en moto y ver el hermoso atardecer de Chile. ¡Uno de mis lugares favoritos para visitar también fue Talcahuano donde pude ver un montón de leones marinos descansando y disfrutando de la fresca brisa del océano!


No comments:

Post a Comment